Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day Twenty: An Update on our Group Progress

My group met at our usual time and place on Sunday to discuss our accomplishments and decide what to work on over spring break. Matt Vaveris and I decided to focus on bug #12653. This bug involves an Xbox 360 controller, and we both have access to such a controller. Julie will focus on bug #12594 because her laptop has a built-in Blu-Ray drive. David is looking into bug #12699 because the bug report itself is difficult to read. If the broken English cannot be deciphered, the report is useless and needs to be deleted. Jason was not able to attend the meeting, but he can work with David or Julie depending on the level of progress that is made respectively.

I was able to reproduce my bug on two different systems running Windows 7 with the latest updates. My laptop, running XBMC Eden Beta 2, experienced a crash exactly as the reporter described. Here are the steps to recreate:

  1. Plug in the controller and make sure that it is on (you need the appropriate drivers for Windows to recognize it).
  2. Start XBMC
  3. Unplug the controller and Alt+Tab out of XBMC
  4. Wait 3-4 minutes
  5. Bring focus back to XBMC
I tried this process again on my desktop PC, running XBMC Dharma, with a wireless Xbox 360 controller, and I experienced the same crash. I want to contribute to this bug report with my findings, but the webmaster for the XBMC forums must not be receiving my messages for some reason. The forums still mark me as a spammer, regardless of my email address (I have tried yahoo and multiple gmail accounts). Luckily, Matt has a username, so he can do the talking for us. It is surprising that a bug like this has persisted through Dharma and three beta builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment