Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day Nineteen: Explaining the Code

Chapter 8 in the Teaching Open Source textbook is all about documentation. The information in this chapter is easy enough for a newcomer to understand, and it acts as a refresher for more experienced individuals.

Exercise 8.1.1: Practice Good Code Commenting
My team's first contribution to XBMC is an updated readme file with information that was simply left out and referenced in the forums. This is exactly the kind of thing that chapter 8 talks about. The information is there somewhere, but it is rarely easy to find. A well documented project simply takes all of the sources (mailing lists, IRC discussions, and wiki pages) and makes them readable and easily accessible. Open source projects are more approachable if they document this information for new and old users/developers alike.

Exercise 8.4: Plan Your Technical Document
The Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) that I mentioned in a much earlier blog post finally has some documentation in the form of a wiki page here. I still use NMM to this day for all of my Skyrim mods. Steam's workshop seems like a decent alternative, but I still feel attached to the nexus community. My plan was to add a wiki page that documents how to add non-NMM mods, but it appears that another user meatwad2021 already has this idea in mind. Under the "discussion" part of the wiki, meatwad has this to say:

"Considering the chaos that has ensued with Nebula's Skyrim HD 1.5 pack conversion from loose file style to the .bsa/.esp packaging, I've been creating a few new pages dealing with 7zip and SKSE. The next step is to teach users how to deal with files not offered with the Download with Manager option as is required for Nebula's 1.7Gb update. Sooooo, I'm going to take a crack at addding that section here to the existing page."

This update was posted on the 25th, so I might try to contact him and see if he would like some help. Even though my group chose XBMC as our FOSS project, I would still like to contribute to the Nexus community in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment